March 26, 2011

A little less serious

Things may have been too serious around the ALE blog recently.  Just to throw in a dose of (hopefully) fun, here's a little video I created using my son's Nintendo DS hand-held video game. It's like the old 'flipnote' books that created 'moving pictures'.  It is not really related to any wildlife theme, but there is a mountain goat involved. 

On  a quasi-serious note, my son informs me that his school has a much better version of this software that students have been using for the past 3-4 years to create fun video cartoons.  It makes me wonder...at what point do (1) students forget they can be creative, or (2) college teachers forget students can be creative.  Maybe there is a mutual loss of creative memory when students enter our courses at the University? 

I think I should expect more of my students on a regular basis if they've been doing this stuff since elementary school...  Anyway, enjoy!  As you can tell, I had a relaxing Spring Break.

1 comment:

  1. nice. Unfortunately that's not the only thing many forget from elementary school.

    I agree that we teachers often forget students' ability to create. I think we drive it out of them by requiring endless regurgitation on multiple choice tests.

    ReplyDelete